Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tintin: A European Hero


I love Tintin. Passed down from my parents (who are West Indian, therefore were under colonial rule during their young lives), my brothers and I read every Tintin comic book we could get our hands on. This year, I even got my brothers Tintin mugs for Christmas! It seems as if Tintin is making a comeback. And I like it.

Many people over here don't understand the cultural significance that Tintin has had over the years. A Belgian detective, Tintin is a plucky boy reporter who lives by a simple, ethical code. He protects the weak and stands up to bullies. With such wholesome qualities, what's not to love?

The Economist has a great story on Tintin's cultural significance in Europe, and how Tintin is coming to our shores. You should check it out.

Tintin forever!

No comments: