Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"Are you shaying I'm drunk?"


"As dessert ended, the woman in the red dress got up and stumbled toward the bathroom. Her husband, whose head had been sinking toward the bûche de Noël, put a clumsily lecherous arm around the reluctant hostess. As coffee splashed into porcelain demitasse cups, the woman in the red dress returned, sank sloppily into her chair and reached for the Courvoisier. Someone gently moved the bottle away. “Are you shaying I’m drunk?” she demanded. Even in the candlelight I noticed that the lipstick she had reapplied was slightly to the left of her lips."- NY Times

I used to think that getting drunk was normal. However, when does the age come when getting drunk is unacceptable? I'm starting to think sooner rather than later. I'm only 24, but I think I've already had enough of people being drunk. That's not to say that I haven't slipped up from time to time, but it's never so much that I'm blackout.

Maybe it's because though I thought I drank a lot in college, I really didn't. When I did, someone usually had to hold my hair back while I was sick in the street, bathroom, party, etc. Not exactly what I'd call a good time.

Don't get me wrong, I like having a glass of wine or a beer with pizza, but I rarely have the urge to go out and get absolutely shitfaced drunk. When I do see people my age and older getting that way in public, it's all I can do from tearing my hair out and going to beg them to please, just go home.

It's one thing to drink in your home with a few good friends. You're in a private sphere, with people you know and trust. Getting drunk in a bar? I don't know. I think I'm over it.

I think it's bizarre mostly when I see older men and women (in their 50s) get so drunk that they cannot control themselves. I don't know whether or not to think that they have an alcohol problem, or if they actually think that getting drunk at a party is an acceptable way to act. Haven't they learned their lessons? Or is alcohol a coping mechanism for a past that nobody knows about?

What are your thoughts?

5 comments:

Tina Leigh said...

You wouldn't know what to do with yourself on the Vineyard then, thats fo sho. Drinking problems galore!

Meg said...

i'm over it too. i was over it in college!

Danielle said...

Yeah, I don't know. I just don't think I can do it anymore!

Meg said...

Mike & I have become such homebodies. we rarely get out and party anymore, unless there's an event or we're going out to eat. Sometimes I feel bad about it, like I'm missing out...but I'm also too exhausted to party all the time. I honestly don't know how some people can go out 3 nights a week and still function. It makes me feel kind of old, but I'd honestly rather go to the movies or out to a nice dinner or hang out with friends in a relaxed setting. I'm over the whole "drinking to have fun" concept.

Danielle said...

Oooh, I've always been a homebody. I tried to fake myself out and not be, but there's nothing better than just hanging out. I like dinner parties instead!