Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dreams of dancing and spinning around in circles.


SO. I took my first big step, and joined a ballet class today. I have been fascinated by ballet since I was a young girl, but I never followed up with it. As I grew up, more "important" things got in the way such as school, horseback riding, piano lessons, etc. However, I never lost my love for ballet.

I know that every girl enjoys dreaming about being a ballerina, but for most young girls, these dreams fade when they realize that they should have been en pointe since they were 8, and should have been watching their weight by age 10. Most ballerinas' careers are over by the time they are in their mid 20s, which I am.

However, I needed a hobby. I've always been a fan of dance, and actually, I'm not half bad! In college I ended up learning several types of dance including modern, hip hop, and my favorite, belly-dancing. However, I've always admired the discipline and structure of ballet, not to mention how beautiful it is. Therefore, after 24 years of not taking a single ballet class, I have signed up with the Cambridge Center for Adult Education for ballet classes starting January 12.

I am SO excited! I'm even excited to wear a leotard {shudder} as I extend {force} my body into 1st position, 5th position, 10000th position...

I can't wait. This is the first time that I've gotten over my fear of others judging me, and going for something that I've always wanted to do. You'll have to come to my recital to see the end result!

2 comments:

Meg said...

that's so exciting!!!
makes me sad tho.. i really need to get back into ballet :( for the past month i've been looking into programs, but everything is so expensive! also, I don't want to do a beginners class.
i really need to stop putting it off tho... :(

Tina Leigh said...

Congrats Dani! Thats so fun!