Sunday, September 26, 2010

A sustainable city.

{photo via The New York Times}

Masdar City will be built in Abu Dhabi-- a place best-known for its ridiculous architecture and man-made, palm-shaped archipelagos. It's a pretty awesome concept, and it's a concept that is actually being realized- Masdar City combines the aesthetic of old Arab settlements with old-world techniques to cool the city down (interesting facts: most communities in this region (1) were built on hills to take advantage of stronger winds, and (2) had tall, hollow "wind tunnels" to funnel down air to street level).

So, you ask. Where's the new? 90% of power for the city will be solar, and the other 10% will be generated by incinerating waste. Masdar will be closed to combustion-engine vehicles, and the electric cars that replace them will be underground. Pretty neat, huh?

I think it's such an interesting idea, and it's one that's actually taking place. What do you think about this project? What kind of city will Masdar actually be?

Check out Masdar City's website.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Florence and the Machine

I became hip to Florence and the Machine approximately 2378937489 years after everyone else. I know that everyone loves "Dog Days are Over", but I thought I'd post another one of her songs which I happen to like more.
It's full of lights and sparkle and whimsy- perfect for Sticky Candy, no?

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Tacos Locales!

My friend Ruben is bringing his Tacos Locales to the 2011 City of Boston Food Truck Challenge, and I couldn't be more excited! The City of Boston Food Truck Challenge is a competition to establish mobile food and/or beverage vending on Boston City Hall Plaza (see more here), and Ruben and his business partner Josh have made their way into the semifinals!

It's no secret that I love Mexican food. Like, love Mexican food so much that I eat it multiple times a week, and I'm pretty sure that I'm on a first name basis with the staff at every local Mexican establishment in the Boston/Cambridge area. What I really like about Ruben's food truck idea is that he keeps it simple--and local. Here's the food concept:

Tacos Locales is defined by its fusion of authentic cuisine made with local ingredients. Cheeses in the style of Mexican fresh cheeses will be sourced from artisanal producers such as Fiore Di Nonno in Somerville. Quality meat and seafood components will be spiced and slow cooked in accordance with regional Mexican traditions.

Primary produce such as: corn, jalapenos, habaneros, tomatoes, melons, berries, lettuce, bitter greens, radishes, cilantro, and onions will be sourced seasonally. Some of the Massachusetts farmers we plan to partner with are Verill Farm, Drumlin Farm, Kimball Farm, and Pio Angelini.

Tacos are a quick and portable food option, and will be vital to the success of the Tacos Locales truck. However, a commitment to authentic, slowly prepared foods will be more obvious in other menu items which focus on street food traditions of Western and Southern Mexico. Also, Tacos Locales will be unique in offering traditional Latin American beverages. Prepared with fresh fruit, they are a great alternative to soft drinks.

Sounds pretty neat, huh? Simple, delicious food with fresh ingredients(note their belief in the wonderful slow food movement)? Bring on the tacos!

Cast your vote here!

Friday, September 17, 2010

Yesss, wedding!

{images by the amazing Carla Ten Eyck}
I'm so excited that our wedding was featured on not one, but TWO amazing wedding blogs this week. This one here, and this one here.

I cannot begin to reiterate how unbelievably amazing this day was. So full of love, joy, and spirit!

Happy weekends!

Monday, September 13, 2010


Yes, hi, I'm back.

I unintentionally took the whole summer off from blogging.

Well, more like the entire year. But I miss it. I don't think I realized how much I enjoy blogging as a pasttime.

So, hi, hi, I'm here. I'm alive!

I have a whole bunch of new ideas for this blog. Excitement!