Tuesday, October 28, 2008

LSAT Fears

I'm signed up to take the LSATs on December 6, 2008, and I am terrified. You see, I'm not your ordinary standardized test taker. Most people can take it and generally get away unscathed, and some folks even do well (lucky little buggers). Me? I have to try and try again to get a halfway decent score. I also suffer from test anxiety that tends to get away with me RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TEST. I'm talking sweaty palms, throat closes up, hyperventilation; yep, that's right, severe drama. It's not like I haven't tried every single calming method in the history of the world. I do yoga, I practice breathing exercises, I take practice tests in busy areas, but all of these things don't seem to work.

I know these tests don't measure your intelligence level, but let me tell you, it certainly makes you think twice about your intellectual capability. And to think that these tests are the "great equalizer". I am going to need a great tranquilizer to get through this. I swear, the LSAT is like a crossword puzzle, and that's perhaps the one thing I hate more than standardized tests. I don't need a crossword every single day to tell me that I don't know anything, and why would I want to subject myself to that kind of mental abuse? I totally have an allergy to any sort of test that requires a pencil and filling in words down and across and/or bubbling in the letters A, B, C, D, or E.

BUT, since these sorts of things determine your future, I realized that I have to suck it up and stick myself with an LSAT Epi-Pen. I've been studying regularly for the past month and a half and I have already TAKEN the LSAT as a sign of devotion to this test (and by that I mean, yes, I have to take it again). I am taking yoga classes, and I am severely limiting the amount of fun I have for the next month.

If any of you have tips on how to take this test and "not let it take me," please send on your wisdom!

1 comment:

Steve Schwartz said...

how did your exam go? I just saw your post, but if you ended up not taking it, or are planning to retake it, check out http://LSATtips.blogspot.com

take care!