Friday, February 20, 2009

Visible Man


I am really proud of Eric Holder for speaking so bluntly to the members of the Justice Department on Wednesday about the level of racial discourse in America.

“Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot,” he said, “in things racial we have always been and continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards.”

Despite the fact that Obama is President, voluntary segregation between ethnicities, especially black and white, is still very much present.

We as a society mulled over Obama's biraciality, his articulateness, and the question of whether he'd be black enough. However, as much as we discussed these issues, and as much as Barack addressed them, he never went to the level that Holder did in his speech.

Perhaps his speech seemed angry. To me, this speech was the truth, and it's a truth that still needs to be repeated, over and over again. America still has an uphill climb regarding the issue of race in America, yet it seems to turn a blind eye to this fact. It cannot be swept under the rug, nor can it be solved only because Barack Obama is President.

Tell me what you think. I'd really like to hear what you all have to say.

{And for those of you who don't know me, I consider myself both black and multiracial. Black because this is how American society sees me, multiracial, because my mixed roots are too prevalent to deny. I prefer to define myself as multiracial.}

Read "Visible Man" here.

No comments: