Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Breaking into the art world

Part of me thinks that if I could go back and do it all again, I would be the owner of an up and coming art gallery. This sounds cheesy, but my appreciation of art has been one consistent passion of mine for quite some time. I do not think I have a talent for creating it, nor do I have the academic background to head up museum tours or my own gallery, but the sheer sense of joy I get from examining pieces of work from different artists, old and new, is pretty much unparalleled.

I find that today, the art market is embracing globalism and multiculturalism in a way that makes me hopeful. Art is, in effect, simultaneously a symbol and product of our rapidly changing world. We've even seen this change politically- remember that oh-so-famous Obama portrait? Cultural symbol, no?

Not to make this another Paris post, but I cannot wait to go back and check out some of my old {and some new} haunts, especially around the Marais. There are TONS of tiny museums off the beaten path that are worth seeing.

No comments: