Thursday, January 29, 2009

dabagirls.com

I came across this website when reading an article in the New York Times titled "It's the Economy, Girlfriend". "DABA" stands for "Dating A Banker Anonymous", and focuses on...the economy. Or rather, the economy according to their rich banker boyfriends. Essentially, this blog (and accompanying support group)is for a group of 20 and 30-something women who no longer can afford their $600 facials and now have to go to the gym with the "normal" people. The New York Times calls DABA "a support group founded in November to help women cope with the inevitable relationship fallout from, say, the collapse of Lehman Brothers or the Dow’s shedding 777 points in a single day, as it did on Sept. 29."

SERIOUSLY? Isn't this a little bit backwards? These women seem to be promoting an ancient stereotype that we've been trying to erase for SO LONG. The website is even billed as “free from the scrutiny of feminists,” but I think anybody with a brain and self-respect would read this as meaning "We're so extremely vapid and spoiled that we cannot handle having to paint our fingernails on our own." Yes, I consider myself a feminist, but I love getting my nails done and spending too much money on clothes. However, I don't have to rely on my boyfriend for any of these things. Yes, it's nice to have your boyfriend pay for things. I get that. I LIKE that, but I have a job, in which I earn money for myself. I also have my self-respect, not to mention good saving habits.

I know, I know, I shouldn't be critiquing these women so harshly. The fact of the matter is, it's difficult to be in a relationship with someone who is a victim of the financial fallout. It certainly puts a strain on the relationship. However, when I start reading about how these young women can no longer dine out in Manhattan's most exclusive restaurants 7 days a week, I get frustrated. Since when was it considered tacky to stay in one night with your significant other?

Girls, give it a rest. You've got a lot more going for you, and if you only value yourself based on what these "finance guy boyfriends" think of you, then I'm sorry, because you have a lot more to learn.

dabagirls.com

5 comments:

Meg said...

i've read this, it's absolutely hilarious.
maybe i should sign up, though, since i'm technically dating a finance guy who is so stressed out he's now lifting, running, and playing basketball almost every night.

Danielle said...

Meg, you would never ever ever fit this profile. love, d.

Meg said...

haha i know i know.
p.s. how excited are you about paris!?

Maki said...

I need to read the article.. Wow..

You have such a lovely blog - I love the photo of header - gorgeous!!!

I will be back again:D

Danielle said...

I know. I still don't really know what to think about the article! Part of me thinks I was being too harsh, but I'm not sure anymore.