Wednesday, November 19, 2008

In love with words.

Is there anybody out there who loves words as much as I do? When I say that I'm in love with words, I mean that I'm in love with the way the word sounds in my mouth, my tongue rolling around to create the different syllables, the gradual sounding of the word, and its exit from my mouth.

Words fill me with a kind of joy that still makes me feel like a small child, giggly and wiggling around, back when my life was full of little curiosities that made me smile.

The word that makes me grin right now? Bailiwick. The definition itself is nothing too exciting; bailiwick means a person's specific area of knowledge, authority, interest, skill, or work.

But isn't it a fun little word? For some reason, I imagine a big old Scottish man using the phrase. And that makes me smile.

No comments: