Friday, March 27, 2009

Vogue loves your body, but only if it's a size 2.

I love fashion. I spend too much time on fashion websites, spend too much money on clothes, and read 5329804 different fashion magazines.

HOWEVER (and I've said this before), the fashion industry is one UNHEALTHY industry to be in, and I can only imagine that if I worked in it, I'd be riddled with massive insecurity. Usually, every mainstream fashion magazine, Vogue, Elle, Harper's Bazaar, etc. has an annual "shape" issue, in which they pay homage to women with "every" type of body...Except Every. Single. Model. Looks. The. Same. And guess what? The body type? SKINNY. Not slim, not slender, not curvy, not athletic, not full. Skeeeeeny. Even the "curvy" models {read: euphemism for FAT} come in {at their largest} at a size 6.

Beyonce, who is not a model {but not exactly a "real" girl either} is on Vogue's April cover. Beyonce is a size 6, yes, but she's also 5'7" and, if you see her in real life, she's SMALL. She is also a woman of color {yes this matters, because WOW, different ethnicities have different physical characteristics} Guess what? We brownies have curves in different places. Why do you think there are so few models of color? Coincidence? I think not.

Here's the thing- I'm brainwashed. Yeah, I rant and rave about how horrible the fashion industry is, but I read all of the magazines, and subscribe to their image of beauty. In fact, after I read the article on Beyonce, the only thing I could think was "Damn, how does Beyonce handle all those big ol' curves?"

Also, Victoria's Secret model and great beauty Doutzen Kroes is featured in the issue as having an "athletic" body type, because her thighs are slightly too big for runway. OMFG.

Oh, and FYI Vogue? Will nude heels lengthen MY BROWN LEGS? Probably not.

Maybe it's about time I stop reading these magazines...

{Ranting post courtesy of Jezebel's Cover Lies}

3 comments:

erin said...

agreed, don't read this shit.

erin said...

sorry i swore on your blog...i love you.

Lindsey said...

When I was in NYC, I realized I could never live there. Why? Because everyone was a Size 0. Not only that, but everyone was wearing tweaked versions of the exact same outfit - Black leggings, 5 inch heals, black long top or black short dress. I was shopping in SOHO in cute little boutiques, but the only thing they had in my size were shoes. Going through the racks, it would be: 0, 0, 0, 2, 2, 4. They didn't even have 6's! Clearly Beyonce doesn't even shop in SOHO! My whole family is busty - my mom, both my grandmas, my cousins. Even when at the height of my skinniest (which, thanks fashion mags, I associate with my prettiest), I was a size 4 waist, but a size 8 top. So frustrating! Yet, I still read those mags, too, in hopes that one day I'll miraculously be skinny, and thus, pretty. :/