Saturday, October 11, 2008

Thank You Connecticut.

In a move that completely surprised me, Connecticut's Supreme Court ruled that same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry. I'm glad that this world seems to be trying to change. It wasn't so long ago that interracial marriage was banned, and blacks and other minorities were "separate but equal".

However, I'm skeptical at how much this will change everything. Coming from a small, white, upper middle class town in Connecticut, a lot of people's views still hinge on the old way of doing things, and an "old world view". In fact, I'm a little nervous. Yes, same-sex couples can marry, but is that going to change how much they're being discriminated against? This is the place where people still lock their car doors when my handsome, dreadlocked brothers walk past.

Also, the Supreme Court was pretty much deadlocked. It was a 4-3 decision. I guess I'm just afraid that these rights could be taken away again.

As for now, Connecticut, thank you!

Check out the NY Times Article

No comments: